February 9th, 2013: Update On My Mami

The picture on the left is of Sofia & my mom taken in December, 2012 at the Olive Garden in Oxnard, CA.  

What a difference two days make!  I can honestly say that my mami is the strongest women I know.

It was a real struggle for me to leave Oxnard on Wednesday night.  God was carrying me throughout my last 48 hours.  My husband, Mike, has been my bedrock.  Sofia my source of joy, smiles, and laughter.  My father, Rolando, has shown me the love, care, and dedication of God, as he stands by my mom.  My friends, Karen, Marie, Greg, Steve Herrera...the list goes on...have been tremendous in big and small ways.  My co-workers have been a God-sent.  The students at USC don't realize how much they are ministering to me, by just being themselves, while I minister to them.  If we are looking for God working in our lives, even in suffering, we don't have to look too hard to see and feel God's presence.  The challenge in seeing God in our lives, usually is ourselves.  God is so clearly present!  The struggle with suffering in our lives is and will always be counterbalanced by love, grace, and God.  Where there is sin [suffering], grace abounds (Romans 5:20).  

At the same time God was helping my mom recover. My mom was finally officially diagnosed with Guillian Barre Syndrome.  Today she moved her head back and forth, she kicked, she moved her arms, she opened her eyes a sliver, opened and closed her jaw, and with help she can sit up.  Wednesday before I left  I asked my mom to practice opening her eyes so that I could see her beautiful eyes on Friday when I came to visit.  As soon as I walked into the room she was thrilled, she started moving a lot, and she opened her eyes a tiny bit.  I cried with joy.  She had been practicing!  She still has a long way to go - her movements are not fluid and they are uncoordinated - but she is physically recovering.  Reading about the syndrome it seems as if she is recovering rather quickly.  My dad is convinced that my mom will be walking in less than 6 months.  Regardless of any time frame in my mami's road to recovery, it was so nice to see her personality shine through the syndrome.

Please continue to pray for my mami and family.  Your prayers, her inner strength, and God are amazing sources of life!

Comments

Unknown said…
Rosie, that is amazing. I'm crying too reading about her determination to open her eyes. Your mom has a great team around her.

My continued prayers for her continued recovery,

Andrea

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

Jan. 31st, 2011: Weddings...weddings...weddings...