February 20th, 2013: Signs of Slow Recovery

I am sitting in my mami's room again as she sleeps.  She looks so peaceful.  Today, Wednesday, before I drove up from Los Angeles to visit my mami again, I did some more research on Guillain-Barre Syndrome.  I found, the Guillain-Barre Syndrome International Foundation (http://www.gbs-cidp.org/). Along with my dad,  we are in the process of attempting to find a good rehabilitation center for my mami.  On the GBS International Foundation website they have links for support groups and also facilities that are renowned in care for people with GBS.  In hope of seeking the best medical advice, I have already contacted UCLA's medical center and I am in the process of looking at USC's and Cedar Siani's programs.

Yesterday, Tuesday, when I was with my mami, before I left to Los Angeles so that I could work, my mami sat down in a chair for 15 minutes, all by herself!  It was tough for her because she told me that her lungs felt stiff, like maracas.  But my cousin said that it was good that she was sitting because it allows for her muscles to move in ways they had not moved in a few weeks.  The picture on the right is my cousin Carlos and Eva.     
One can definitely see, day by day, a slow recovery taking place.  For the first time, today, Wednesday, she sat down on her bed, with her back not supported by anything, without any help.  Her neck and back were perfectly vertical.  It made me very excited.  She also had speech therapy.  Listening to her one can tell that her voice is getting stronger each day.

Random fact:  did you know that Andy Griffith suffered from GBS?  

Things that I am grateful for today include, a quick 30 minute run on a treadmill at the gym, my mom's slow recovery, my dad's love, and picking up my daughter, Sofia, and my husband, Mike, at LAX after they went for a week long visit to Ohio.  
Thank you for your continued prayers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

February 7th, 2013: My Mami