February 14th, 2013: Update on My Mami

I have been getting many requests to write an update about my mami.  I visited my mami yesterday.    Sofia and I drove straight to the hospital.  When I saw my mami I could instantly see that she was doing a lot better.

Her face not only was back to its normal color, it also carried an expression of joy in seeing me.  She was communicating with me using her right arm and hand.  She was attempting to write in cursive in the air with her right hand.  She was trying to mouth words to me.  I failed miserably at guessing what she was trying to say, many times.  With her gestures she was asking me to give her massages and to pray with her.  Once I told her it was Ash Wednesday she motioned to me that she wanted to receive ashes on her forehead.  Her eyes are more open.  One can see her green eyes clearly and without redness.  She is also annoyed with the breathing tube still in her mouth and throat.  My papi told me that she has been breathing 3 hours without the ventilator (although, like I mentioned  she still has the breathing tube inserted).  To get the breathing tube fully removed she needs to grow stronger and build her neck muscles.  According to my papi all of these things are a natural and a good progression towards recovery.  My mami also told me, through gestures, that she was hungry!

After my first visit in the morning with my mami, my papi, Sofia and I went to my parents home.  I took Sofia to play at the park while my papi got lunch together for us.  We returned to the hospital around 2:30pm.  When I walked in for the last visit of the day I could tell instantly that my mom was really exhausted.  Due to her looking so sleepy I decided to keep my visit with my mami short.  I gave her another massage and kissed her forehead.  As I left the hospital and pulled out of the parking lot I got a text message from my papi...the reason she was so sleepy was because before I walked in she had been practicing standing, obviously with a lot of help.

Thank you for your continued prayers.  We know full recovery will take time, months perhaps years.  But we are hopeful for full recovery and grateful for love, family, and friendship.              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

February 7th, 2013: My Mami