February 7th, 2013: My Mami

For those of you who do not know, my mami has been in the hospital since last Thursday (1/31/2013).  She is being treated for Guillain Barre Syndrome.  http://tinyurl.com/yqkjfe

While this blog won't be as elegant as previous blogs I have written or other peoples blogs I have read, I am going to write some updates as often as possible about my mami and her condition. This will help me process things and also will allow others to read about how my mami is improving.

Just to give you all a recap: I was in Oxnard/Ventura for several days and my mom was been doing about the same everyday. It's going to be a very slow healing process. Tuesday morning I started giving her three massages a day, reading her the daily readings, reflecting upon the readings for her, praying with her, and telling her that many people were praying for her.

My mom is on a breathing tube, her eyes are shut because she is too weak to open them, and she can only respond by kicking. It is really hard to see such a vivacious woman be so still. By reading several things online, the likelihood of her healing is very good. The downside is that it can take months to years for her to get her full strength back. She will need intense physical therapy once she leaves the ICU. 

Yesterday, Wednesday (2/6) my mom moved her arms for me! I started crying out in sheer joy. Then later she moved her head from right to left, one time. Small signs of my moms persistence and slow start towards recovery.

Unfortunately, I could not stay in Oxnard/Ventura due to other responsibilities so I am back in Los Angeles. I came back last night. Being away from my mami right now is one of the hardest things I have had to endure. I told her yesterday that I would be back on Friday and to try and practice opening her beautiful eyes for me. Please keep praying for us! Also, continue to look at this blog for updates on my mami.



This is a picture of my mom and some of my family members about 2 weeks ago celebrating my dad's birthday.

Comments

Alegria809 said…
Rosie - your mom, you, and all your family are in my thoughts and prayers!! Peace and love!!
Unknown said…
I'm so sad to hear about your Mami's condition. I hope she gets well soon. Prayers are very powerful and it is through prayers that God hears us. Rosie, My prayers are with you and your family. I hope everything will be okay.
Steve Herrera said…
What a testimony to see God's loving hand in all this. Seeing his comfort through those near you is beautiful. Praying with you.

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

Jan. 31st, 2011: Weddings...weddings...weddings...