February 11th, 2013: My Mami and GBS

 2 Corinthians 1:3-7  
The God of all consolation. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and God of all encouragement, who encourages us in our every affliction, so that we may be able to encourage those who are in any affliction with the encouragement with which we ourselves are encouraged by God. For as Christ's sufferings overflow to us, so through Christ does our encouragement also overflow. If we are afflicted, it is for your encouragement and salvation; if we are encouraged, it is for your encouragement, which enables you to endure the same sufferings that we suffer. Our hope for you is firm, for we know that as you share in the sufferings, you also share in the encouragement.

On  Saturday while I was visiting my mami, with the assistance of the Catholic Book of Blessings, I blessed my mom, asking God to watch over her and give her the strength to fight through GBS.  
"For mami, your servant who is sick, we ask that your blessing will give her strength to overcome her weakness through the power of patience and the comfort of hope and that with your aid she will soon be restored to health."

I was leaving her room that evening, turned around and blew her a kiss.  She got her arm, put her hand towards her mouth and blew me a kiss.  I cried in joy.  She was intentionally moving her arm towards her mouth and blowing me a kiss.  Amazing.  

Yesterday while I was at mass I received a text message from my papi (yes, I had my cell phone at church - my mom is ill, I need to be next to my phone 24-7).  The message said that my mom had an infection in her lungs.  I prayed harder, fighting back tears.  The infection was causing a fever that ranged from 103-100.  Since my mom's fever came about she's been on antibiotics.  It seems like the medication is working because her fever has ceased for about 12 hours.    
Last night my papi told me that she was sleeping in a more natural position, moving her legs more freely and normally.  

Today, Mon. Feb. 11th, I received a text message from my papi.  He said that both of her eyes are now open, she has a normal temperature, and  the main neurologist came in and talked to my papi and the doctor said that my mami is doing much better.  

Please keep praying for my family!  I hope to see my mami on Ash Wednesday - perhaps bringing her ashes.  

In other news Sofia slept in her big girl bed last night for the first time!  The Pope resigned.  And we had two successful events yesterday at the USC Caruso Catholic Center - a 15 hour work day - the start of our Busy Trojan's Retreat, for 20 students, during the Lenten season and a, Spaghetti Dinner & Auction, for the alternative spring break projects, making $1,000!  


The picture is of Sofia this morning
after a good nights rest in her new bed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

Jan. 31st, 2011: Weddings...weddings...weddings...