February 12th, 2013: Love

This blog post is theologically simplistic.  Love is something that is analyzed constantly in our "love hungry" society and has been philosophized about for thousands of years.  It's something that people crave because God created us to love.  Therefore, I don't blame people for seeking love.  However, where many of us miss the mark, is that ultimately the love that will fulfill us is the love of God.  Because of life circumstances, the past few days I have been reflecting a lot about love.  I am not referring to the romantic Hollywood, Bachelor type love that is fleeting.  I am referring to to the deep love God has for all of us.  How do we learn about and allow ourselves to feel that love - a love that is so intimate and everlasting?

The last three weeks have been a bit crazy.  On Jan. 29th, a good friend of Mike & I, Br. Tom Reis, passed away.  Br. Tom was a man of God.  When I was in his presence I knew that God was standing in front of me.  Br. Tom had a deep heart for the poor - he would redistribute food to those who were hungry, give away money to those who needed it, and would constantly stand up for people who were on the margins.  He was so humble and Christ-like.  His life was simple and joyous.  The love he showed the world was compassionate and relentless.     

Tonight, Feb. 11th, Mike's Grandma Rosie passed away.  Grandma Rosie was a woman of family and faith.  The moment I met her I felt comfortable.  She was non-judgmental and loved deeply.  While I don't remember the intricacies of her relationship with her husband, what I do remember is that the love that the two of them shared was "of God".  They were meant for one another.  They complimented each other in ways that a couple should.  They loved each other so deeply that even though I never met her husband, I felt their love.  Their love was infectious.         

The last two weeks I have been thinking a lot about the love my dad has for my mom.  Seeing my dad sit next to my mom, every day, as she slowly recovers from GBS, has re-opened my eyes to a love that is constant through good and hard times.  My mom is a woman of strength and persistence   My dad is a man of patience, dedication and fidelity.  The love that they share is one of choice and commitment.       
    
The love God has for us can be described in all of the lives written about above - but it's more.  God's love is indescribable by human vocabulary.  For me, fully understanding God's love, is conceivable yet inconceivable.  I am so grateful for the glimpses of God's love that I see so present in my life.  I am also learning - more and more - that life is short.  Love others like God is present in front of you, now...don't wait until tomorrow.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

Jan. 31st, 2011: Weddings...weddings...weddings...