March 6th, 2013: Exhausted But Grateful

The last 48 hours for me have been exhausting.  Although I am tired I am also grateful.  Ministry has been super busy.  Tomorrow night we elect and appoint the new leaders for the 2013-2014 academic year.  For these elections and appointments to take place tomorrow, Anthony, the other campus minister, and myself, need to meet with each applicant individually.  There are about 40 student leadership positions at the USC Caruso Catholic Center.  Beyond the scheduled meetings there are also students in the midst of discernment for leadership who have not 'officially' applied and are in need of an meeting.  Then there are the regular, normal activities, such as RCIA, planning for two spring break projects (one to New Orleans the other to the Appalachian Mountains), a silent retreat that's coming up in April, the bulletin, the weekly email...and on and on.  I am not complaining.  I love every aspect of this ministry, especially meeting with students one on one, listening to their lives, hearing where God is present, and helping them recognize their gifts.  I am grateful that students trust me with their lives and their relationship with God.  It's just busy.

Then last night, right after I left daily mass, as I was headed into an interview, I looked at my phone, and with a student in my office, I read a text message out loud ..."I am taking Sofia to the ER.  Call me."  Naturally, I freaked out.  My baby had never been to the ER.  Talking to Mike on the phone I just cried.  Really, it was not that big a deal.  In the moment, when I told my pastor that I had to leave to be with my daughter, I even remember telling him, "I have a feeling I am blowing this out of proportion", but my mind instantly was on her and I knew I had to leave.  What had happened was that she was playing in the playground at school, with Mike present, and she tripped over her own feet.  She fell on her face and her tooth went through her bottom lip.  She was bleeding everywhere.  Mike took her to the ER.  After I got home I found out that the ER doctor said that it was not as bad as it looked, and put some sort of medical glue on it, instead of a stitch.  When I first saw her she was attached to Mike.  She was not crying or overly shaken up.  I was just glad to be home.  I am grateful it was not worse.  I was happy to have her in my arms.    

After Sofia and I had our moment I looked at my mail that had arrived.  The staff at Catholic Charities in Albuquerque, my last place of employment, had sent my mami and I a get well soon card!  The thought that arose in my mind at that moment was, how did I get so lucky to be so blessed with love?      

Needless to say, after a night of excitement with Sofia and ministry, I did not fall asleep until 2am.  And Sofia woke me up at 5:30am.  Very little sleep.  But one positive that came out of waking up so early is that I was able to facebook chat with a good friend of mine that lives in Peru.  Catching up with him was so nice!  We are struggling with similar issues of a parent that is ill.  It was also nice for me to hear that he is doing well in all other aspects of his life.  And he also sees the hand of God in having him move back to Peru to be closer to his father in a time of need.      

At about 9:30am Sofia and I left to Oxnard.  We drove straight to the hospital.  Unfortunately, my mami also got very little sleep last night due to the fact that they were running tests on her late into the evening.  Sofia was also very clingy to me.  I only visited with my mami for about 20 minutes in the morning.  However this evening I spent about an hour and a half with my mami, alone.  I am so grateful to just talk to her.  I truly enjoy every conversation I have with her and my papi.  I am relishing every word as they speak to me.

Physically, my mami seems even a little bit stronger than when I saw her last.  The big difference is that she no longer has her feeding tube and is eating normal food.  There are no real restrictions to her diet at this point, other than the fact that doctors don't want her to eat empty calories.  On that note, I did buy her froyo from Yogurtland, chocolate and cookies & cream flavored with oreos and peanut butter cups.  She loved it.        

One exciting thing is that my Titi Jane from Puerto Rico might be coming soon!  Titi Jane is the oldest of my mami's sisters.

Due to the fact that my husband, Sofia and I have not had a family day in over six weeks, this Saturday we will not be going up to Oxnard to visit my parents.  Instead we are probably going to the zoo.  The next visit I'll have with my parents will probably be next Wednesday.  If I get any more big news from my papi I will inform everyone with a new blog.

A.M.D.G.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

February 7th, 2013: My Mami