Jan. 16th, 2011: My Aunt Rosie

On Jan. 14th, 2011, a woman very dear to my heart and close to my life passed away, my Titi (aunt) Rosie. She was a woman of strength and filled with the Spirit of God. I am certain that at this stage in her journey she is with God.

Ever since I was young I have admired my Titi Rosie. She moved out to California when I was nine years old. Before she moved here I remember my mom talking to her on the phone, we were in my parents room and I was laying on my parents bed as my mother talked. She invited my Titi and my two cousins to move to California. My Titi said yes. She and my two cousins, Carmen and Jason, lived with my family for six months as the resettled in their new home in California. She created a sense of safeness and deep love from the first moment I met her. I remember her singing to me in the car. Since I was a hyper child, she sang fun songs to keep me calm during long car rides. One specific song I remember was about the Titanic. I remember her editing my English papers and teaching me how to write properly. I remember playing cards with her. If we beat her she would get mad. I remember watching movies with her, specifically Real Women Have Curves and Catch Me If You Can in her bedroom. All of these memories I will hold on for a lifetime. I knew, not only through words, that my aunt loved me with all of her heart.

Last night we had a celebration of her life service. My husband, Mike, led the service that he and I prepared. It was a powerful service about my aunt. Many people felt the love that I felt from my aunt. Her faith, wisdom, integrity, will power, passion, English writing skills, her eloquence, her ability to say what was on her mind in a non-confrontational way, and her deep compassion for all people she met was a true devotion to whom Christ created her to be.

I have been deeply affected by my aunts passing. She is the closest person in my life who has passed away. Sometimes I still think that she's around. The thing is...I know that my Titi is still with me. Her presence and her Spirit will be with me forever. I believe in the resurrection. She is with God. Having trust in God and in my aunt's presence with God helps me to feel consolation. Please pray for her soul, my family, and her close friends as we grieve the loss of her life here on earth, reflect and rejoice on her presence before she passed, and as we celebrate her presence with God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

Jan. 31st, 2011: Weddings...weddings...weddings...