March 8, 2010: Saint of Second Chances

St. Dismas and Jesus

On Saturday, as part of the Newman Justice Walking group, we went to Dismas House. Dismas House, as mentioned in another blog, is a home for motivated people who are on parole and probation to successfully transition into society. While we were there one of the social workers told us who the patron of Dismas was. Although not a lot is known about St. Dismas the little that is known is powerful. St. Dismas was the man crucified next to Jesus in Calvary. He repented to Jesus before he died and then Jesus said, "Amen, I say to you, today you will be with me in Paradise" (Lk 23:43). This penitent man is therefore known as the saint of second chances.

About fifteen minutes into eating lunch with the residents of Dismas House a man came in and sat right in front of me. Outwardly he seemed not put together. I judged him immediately. Then he started to eat. He ate as if he had not eaten a meal in days. Food was flying everywhere. I judged him again. After this second judgement I sat back in my seat and asked myself, "if I am called to see Christ in front of me all of the time, what do I need to do to stop judging and be more compassionate?" I started to ask him questions. He told me he had been in the house for two weeks. He also said that he was college educated. We did not get into a deep conversation but I did recognize that I prejudged. I must attempt to go into every experience with a beginners mind; a mind that is not placing judgements or presumptions rather a mind that sees things simply as they are. A beginners mind does not block Christ midst in front of us. This man in front of me that day, like St. Dismas, was on the road to his own salvation.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well... that's amazing but to be honest i have a hard time understanding it... wonder what others have to say..

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

February 7th, 2013: My Mami