March 10, 2010: Rice Bowl

"They will know we are Christians by our Love." Today I heard a speaker, Thomas Awiapo, speak upon his experience with Catholic Relief Services (CRS). The first sentence I wrote was how he started his talk; a Catholic hymnal. He spoke of the beauty of his country, Northern Ghana, the moon, the simple things like brushing ones teeth with twigs, and the tragedies of poverty such as hunger. Mentioning that poverty and riches can both be beautiful and difficult; that we must live in harmony and not in constant struggle with the powers that be. Thomas did not know his parents. They passed away before he could remember. He was left with three brothers. They would cry a lot because they were so hungry. He talked about how at times the four of them would crowd over a small bowl of food and fight over it; survival instinct. He saw two of them die of hunger right in front of him. Then one evening his older brother said to him that this life was too hard, by the morning, his brother was gone. He was alone and hungry. One day he smelled some food being cooked not too far away. He walked to the food and it was a school that was built by CRS. They were enticing kids to come to school by giving them a snack and a hot lunch; both of which were provided by the project Operation Rice Bowl. He went to school not because he wanted to learn but because he wanted to eat. Thomas stated that he would sometimes try and trick the teachers in giving him the snack without having to learn. But CRS and the teachers they hired were too smart. Eventually Thomas, due to the snack, graduated from this school then went as far as going to get his masters in California. He now has a family and is working for CRS. He sees the value in education and how being educated can help people empowered so that they can get themselves out of the cycle of poverty. Thomas now works at creating systems to get people out of poverty in his country, for example, building schools for kids to become educated and eat. Because people donated money through CRS, specifically Operation Rice Bowl, Thomas was able to come and talk to us about his experiences. What this experience left me with was the necessity for the sense of giving. Working in the Church, I don't make a salary that gives me a lot of flexibility in how I spend. However, hearing the story of Thomas today has empowered me to give out of what I don't have. I don't mean that I am going to go in debt giving to people who need it. What I mean is that I will give up something I want to give to someone who needs. I am living in wealth, whether I realize it or not, and others are barely living. Giving from a place where it might hurt a little bit for me will help someone eat and survive.

Comments

Annette said…
Hi Rosie,
My name is Annette. It's funny I stumbled upon your blog after typing in vocations + mdiv+ catholic + work + woman into the google search engine. I have recently graduated from Harvard with an MDiv and am not sure where I am going next. I was surprised to see that you went to UCSD because so did I. I read your blog and found it inspiring. I actually think Lynn from UCSD told me about you once. Funny how small the world is.

Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

September 2nd, 2013: Santiago Nonualco