April 23rd, 2020: My Reflections on Mass & the Eucharist during Covid-19

I wrote this note to some of our USC students. I hope this message can also be useful to you during this time when there are no public Masses. 
______________________________________________

Hi all,

Just want to share some of my reflections over this time of Covid-19 about Mass and the Eucharist.

I am an avid daily Mass goer. Ever since I was in college, the Eucharist has been central to my relationship with Christ. There are times that I remember that the Eucharist was my sustenance, such as when I did a year of volunteer work with migrants in El Paso. I craved the Eucharist so badly during that year, that I found a way, whether I walked or used the community car, to get to the closest church for daily Mass. 

This time of Covid-19 has been very difficult for me when in comes to my relationship with God in the Eucharist; simply because I do not have access to receiving the Eucharist. The night the Archdiocese, and then the staff at the Catholic Center, shortly after, decided that we could not celebrate public Masses, I went to my husband and tears started to roll down my face. 

I have not missed a Sunday Mass, but I had stopped attending daily Mass. The distance between me and the Eucharist was too much for me to bare. When I tried, tears would well up. There is a deep longing for Christ in the Eucharist that I still have. I have been privileged in that this is something I have never had to worry about in the past.
Picture of students and staff
at the USC Caruso Catholic
Center on Ash Wednesday.

Then God, through Fr. Richard and Fr. Joe, challenged me. The recognition and remembrance that at Mass, Christ is present in (1) the priest, (2) the Word, (3) the community, and (4) the Eucharist is important. For me to not attend Mass was denying myself the grace of God in these three areas. In a typical human fashion, I was not allowing God's grace to continue to imbue me through the Mass. I was hung up on not receiving Him through the Eucharist. I was reminded at how consumeristic this felt - if I can't have the Eucharist, physically, then I am not going to partake in Mass. And I was literally getting in the way of God and the grace He wants to give me. Last week I started attending Daily Mass with the Catholic Center again. The Word of God, the homily given by the priest, and the community have really spoken to me in ways I have needed to hear God. 

This message is being written to students who I know were typical daily Mass goers at the Catholic Center. I am not sure what barriers you are having in your own life that is preventing you from attending the Catholic Center's daily Mass; maybe there are no barriers and you are attending daily Mass. But know that if you are struggling, you are not in this struggle alone. I have been there and am still continuing to struggle. However, being the person that is always attempting to improve herself for Christ, I know that Mass and the Sacraments are God's and the Church's ways for us to receive His grace and peace. I knew I had to get over my own barrier to get closer to Him.

Also the prayer of spiritual communion has been a life-line (read the prayer below). I have this prayer posted on a virtual post-it note on my computer. I pray this prayer throughout the day, telling God how much I miss Him. This is yet another way that I am satiating this yearning. He knows my desire to be with Him and there is solace in that.

Lastly, Tricia wrote this reflection on the Road to Emmaus (this Sunday's readings) for small group bible studies. She parallels her reflection with Mass. Its wonderfully written. My small group bible study got a lot out of it last night. Feel free to check it out. 

Anyway, just thought I'd share with you my thoughts about Mass. I hope in some way this has been helpful for you as you continue to grow closer to Him during this season. Feel free to reach out to me if you want to talk more. Also feel free to forward this to others that you think might need to hear this. Know that I am praying for you every day. I miss ya'll!!

Peace,
Rosie

Spiritual Communion Prayer
I wish, my Lord, to receive you
with the purity, humility and devotion
with which your most Holy Mother received you; with the spirit and fervor of the saints.
Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 7th, 2020: Ministering from the Heart of God

September 2nd, 2013: Santiago Nonualco